How to convert HDF to netcdf

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Aug 12 08:49:21 EDT 2009

The differences between hdf(4/5) and hdf-eos(4/5) are in the metadata,
which GrADS generally ignores. Some hdf4 files have enough attribute
metadata so that they can be opened with sdfopen or xdfopen, but that
is not the norm. The only way to get GrADS to read an hdf5 file is to
provide a complete descriptor with all the required metadata -- there
is no support in sdfopen/xdfopen for the hdf5 format. All the metadata
you need can be found in the h5dump output.
--Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA