segmentation fault using multiple netcf files and xdfopen

Adam Sobel ahs129 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Feb 7 18:49:48 EST 2008

Thanks Arlindo, took a bit of redoing to get the ctl file to work with
"open" but it
seems to have fixed the problem now!

Adam

Arlindo da Silva wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 12:15 AM, Adam Sobel <ahs129 at columbia.edu
> <mailto:ahs129 at columbia.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I have a set of netcdf files, each is 1 day.  I have a .ctl file
>     so I can
>     view a bunch of them together in sequence using xdfopen.  The ctl file
>     is below.
>

>     If I set t to the whole time range (in this case set t 1 12) I can
>     view
>     the variables u or v just fine, e.g. make animations for the whole
>     period, looks good.  But then if I do
>
>     define rvort=hcurl(u,v)
>
>     I get a segmentation fault
>

> This is a well known problem in the v1.8/v1.9 series (but not v1.7b9
> and new v2). There is a memory leak in the sdfopen/xdfopen part of the
> code that causes the amount of memory to increase with the size of the
> timeseries until you ran out of memory. (On a linux system you can
> watch this happen by opening another window and executing "top"). I
> usually experience this problem with much longer data sets, but all
> depends on your system load and horizontal resolution.
>
> I have a patched a version of GrADS for use at NASA/GMAO which is
> built with the sdfopen/xdfopen code from  v1.7b9 sdf/xdfopen code,
> with some of the bugfixes up to v1.9b4. Since it *may* not address all
> NetCDF files supported by v1.9b4, COLA recommended that this patch not
> be included in v1.9.0-rc1. Their recommended action is to prepare a
> ctl file with "DTYPE netcdf"  and use the "open" command. Another
> option is the just released v2, but this version is still in active
> development and is not as stable as v1.9 yet. BTW, this problem is
> common to netcdf and hdf files alike.
>
>      Arlindo
>

> --
> Arlindo da Silva
> dasilva at alum.mit.edu <mailto:dasilva at alum.mit.edu>

Adam H. Sobel
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
Columbia University
500 W. 120th Street, Room 217
New York, NY 10027 USA
tel: 212-854-6587