time series

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Mon Dec 17 12:27:09 EST 2007

Sachin,

Please find attached a GrADS script "ta_maskout.gs" in which three
methods for calculating time series of area-averaged temperature "ta"
are compared.  The script defines a limited region to omit from the
area-averages.  Method 1 follows a technique sent to GrADS Listserv on
12/6/2007 by Jayakrishnan PR (uses "asum" rather than "aave").  Method 2
defines a new "tanew" field for all time levels in which the temperature
values have been redefined to "undef" (via GrADS "defval" and "maskout")
after which the area-average is then calculated with "aave" using
"tanew".  Method 3 uses a predefined external "mask" file (generated
using "ta_mask.gs", attached) to compare with the results from Method 2
(which uses internal "mask" defined using "defval" and "maskout" to
generate "tanew") and also to compare to Method 1 (which uses "asum" to
subtract "ta" sums).  In summary, Methods 2 & 3 showed no differences in
results, while the differences between Methods 1 & 2 for the limited
region area-averages were comparable to differences obtained using
"aave" vs "asum" for the total domain (please see "ta_maskout.pdf";
attached).  ("pause.gsf" GrADS script function also attached)

I hope this helps... Please let me know if you find any problems and/or
have any questions about the scripts or results...

Thanks,
Chuck

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect
any position of the Government or NOAA."