3 or 6 hourly precip from girb files...

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 13 19:06:17 EST 2005

To all,
 I've been trying to use GrADS to plot 3 or 6 hourly precip plots (depending
on what the model timesteps are), but been uncussessful thus far. I've used
grib2ctl.pl to dump my model grib files to a control file and gone from
there, with the only precip options being...
 acpcpsfc (convective precip), apcpsfc (surface total precip), and ncpcpsfc
(large scale precip). Another one deals with precip rate, but I'm not
interested in that.
 I'm simply interested in how much precip fell between the previous model
timestep and the one I'm working with, but using each of these options
simply increments the precip through all 48 hours - like a running total. So
if it rains from hours 03-09 - and is dry after that, I still see precip
being output for hours 12-48 even if it's not going to rain. Does anyone
have any idea how to plot the precip that fell ONLY during the time valid in
the grib file?
 I don't know if it helps or anything, but when creating the idx file - I
use the -0 and -v options - maybe that makes a difference...
 Thanks,
Dan Leins