[gradsusr] Unable to connect to X server

Adams, Jennifer M. (GSFC-610.2)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] jennifer.m.adams at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 21 13:51:30 EST 2018

Hello. I have some questions.

  1.  I migrate to Grads 2.2.1 (Centos 7.4). I have this error after starting Grads: "Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server". If I start in "grads -b" mode it work fine.  How can I fix it?

This question has been put to the forum many times. Please try a google search (site:gradsusr.org "Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server") and look through previous answers to see if they will solve your X server issue.

2. How to realize MFHILO function (from  Mike Fiorino's extension)? Or maybe existed some plugin for it?  (User extentions are not supported in Grads 2.2).

The interface for user-defined plug-in functions in GrADS-2.2 is not exactly the same as the user extensions in opengrads. You’ll have to make some minor modifications to the source code for mfhilo (maybe just to add the pointer to the gaudpinfo structure to the argument list) and then recompile it. Have a look at the documentation (http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/plugins.html and http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/udp.html), and at the comments in the header of the example plug-in function (http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/addthis.c). There may be someone else in the forum who has already done this.

--Jennifer