[gradsusr] Problem reading sub-hourly WRF grib files (NCEP code table for 15/30 min records)

Ivan Toman ivtoman at inet.hr
Sun Nov 19 16:48:07 EST 2017

Hello Jennifer,

Sure, thank you for help. Please find files here, I'm uploading grib1
and grib2 versions for 20 min and 30 min records (20min are OK, 30min
are not). So, Grib1 files uploaded are directly created by latest UPP,
unchanged in any way:
http://gamma.meteoadriatic.net/tmp/jennifer/

Grib2 format is not important in this topic much really. I use it for
smaller size but I can work with Grib1 also, no special reason. But the
same problem is with grib1 also, so problem does not happen during
converting to Grib2. This is for Grib1 output:

grib2ctl.pl -verf WRFPRS_d01.00_30 >30.ctl
add_time: undefined time unit 14
PDS_date: problem
add_time: undefined time unit 14
PDS_date: problem
add_time: undefined time unit 14
PDS_date: problem
add_time: undefined time unit 14
PDS_date: problem
add_time: undefined time unit 14
PDS_date: problem
add_time: undefined time unit 14
add_time: undefined time unit 14
add_time: undefined time unit 14

This happens on 30 minute records, but on 20, 10, 40, 50 does not, they
work fine. Problem also occurs for 15 minute records if I set output
frequency that would create them (for example, 15 min).

I suppose that unipost does not seet proper time units, but as they
said, it should be like that - I was talking to UPP-Help and they wrote
this to me:

"Hi Ivan,
UPP should adhere to the NCEP table codes, so for 15-min and 30-min
output we would expect the forecast time unit to be 13 and 14,
respectively.  I'm not sure why GrADS is having issues reading and
processing those units.  If you're able to read or plot the grib files
using other utilities like wgrib, then that suggests that the grib files
themselves from UPP are ok and the issue may be in GrADS. You might want
to check GrADS documentation or forums to see if there is something
special about processing those time units.
~ UPP-Help"

I'm really confused.

Thank you again,
Ivan