[gradsusr] use GRACE satallite data in GrADS

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 10:05:18 EDT 2016

Hi, Bimal —
Well, I guess is it considerate of the GRACE data providers to tell you which months are missing, but it makes their data file unusable by GrADS in its current form. GrADS requires a linear time axis — the increment between each time step must be the same — and it looks like this file does not conform to that standard. It would have been better if they had simply padded their file with missing data for those months, but file size constraints can sometimes trump usability requirements.

Your options are to use another tool that explicitly reads the time metadata for each time step and doesn’t care if the increments are different, or to break up your file into pieces (say one file per month) that can be aggregated together in a virtual way using templating (http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/templates.html). GrADS will handle the missing months if you do it this way (one file per month, and some files missing), but it may be a bit of a chore to slice up your original file. The NetCDF operators (http://nco.sourceforge.net/) are pretty good at that job.
—Jennifer