[gradsusr] tile and grfill

Andrew Friedman andfried at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:05:01 EST 2016

Hi Jeff,

Here's an example of where I have the discrepancy.
I'm looking at a netcdf file with 2 variables, 'slope' and 'pval' (it's a
trend of rainfall). I'm trying to plot the slope using grfill, and to apply
the pattern in areas where 'pval' is above a certain value.

First, I define a tile as a new color:
'set tile 0 2 6 6 3 0'
'set rgb 41 tile 0'

Then, I shade the slope:
'set gxout shaded' * (or grfill)
'd slope'

Third, I apply the pattern fill to pval:
'set clevs 0.05'
'set ccols 41 -1'
'd pval'

When I use 'set gxout shaded', the pattern fills on top of the existing
shading, as in the GrADS website example. However, when I use 'set gxout
grfill', the initial fill disappears in areas without pattern fill. I've
attached images showing the differences.

Any ideas? I know it's not a major issue, but I often look at coarse
spatial resolution datasets, and I like the grfill setting to present where
the gridbox boundaries are exactly.

Thanks,
Andrew