[gradsusr] rainfall rate script

Ben Stephens benstephens at utexas.edu
Sat Jan 16 00:15:43 EST 2016

Hi, I am writing a script that will take existing total accumulated rainfall data (units of mm) and output daily rainfall rates (mm/day) for both rainc and rainnc.  This is the single-column WRF model output so there is only one grid point with 20 levels and 12-hour time increment.  Here is the script I have so far:

'open scm9yr12hr.ctl'
'set fwrite scm9yr12hr.daily.grads'
'set gxout fwrite'
i=2
while(i<6578)
   'set t 'i
   'd rainc(t+2)-rainc'
   'd rainnc(t+2)-rainc'
   i=i+2
endwhile
'disable fwrite’

I am basically wondering what to do after running the script.  I open GrADS and execute the script with a run command, and it generates the given output file, but I have not been able to display the data, assuming it is working correctly.  I tried to create a new control file for the output, and it opens, and the data seem to be there but they are clearly wrong.  I am getting numbers with huge exponents and so on.  Any input on whether my script is written correctly or how to display my output?

Thanks!
Ben