[gradsusr] GrADS font issue

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Fri Jan 15 16:41:16 EST 2016

p.s. I have cc’d the forum on this issue, because I think it might be helpful to other users as well.

On Jan 15, 2016, at 3:54 PM, Thomas Davies <tsd.davies at gmail.com<mailto:tsd.davies at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering what settings are used when drawing the GrADS logo in the bottom left of the plot i.e. settings such as 'set cthick' or 'set lwid'? When using a non-default font changing the thickness and defining new thickness levels does not seem to have much effect, however the GrADS logo looked quite good so is there a file where I can find the script for drawing the logo?

Thanks in advance

Hi, Thomas —
There’s a documentation page about using fonts that has a brief mention of this issue:
http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/fontcontrol.html#thick

If you are using fonts, either by invoking ‘set hershey off’ or ‘set font’ then the thickness settings are ignored and the thickness is entirely based on which font you choose. The height and width settings will change the aspect ratio of the strings drawn with fonts, so you can alter their appearance a little using ‘set string’. For example, these three letter sets were drawn with ‘set strsiz  0.3 0.6’, 'set strsiz  0.6 0.3’, and 'set strsiz  0.6 0.6’:
[cid:85425F27-1737-43D9-86B2-7708CCFF9781]

The logo at the bottom left corner of the display has height/width settings of 0.10/0.09, and the font is controlled with ‘set font’.
—Jennifer