[gradsusr] rainfall rate script

Charles Seman - NOAA Federal charles.seman at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 19 18:58:00 EST 2016

Ben,

We have calculated WRF precip rates from variable RAINNC.

You can try using code like (caution, has not been tested):

*  Calculate the WRF precipitation rates from accumulated precip...
*  convert WRF model accumulated precipitation from [mm] to [mm/day]
*
*  note, we can only go to "nt-1" because we do forward-in-time finite
*  differences for the WRF model precipitation rate...

nt = 6578	;* or the # of time levels in your time series
dt = 0.5	;* 12 hours or 0.5 day
'set x 1'
'set y 1'
'set z 1'
'set t 1 'nt-1
'define pratec = (RAINC(t+1)-RAINC(t+0))/'dt
'define pratenc = (RAINNC(t+1)-RAINNC(t+0))/'dt

then you can use pratec and pratenc (or whatever you call them)...

you can plot the variables directly; try something like:

legends = 'RAINC  RAINNC'
colors  = ' 2     3'
marks   = ' 0     0'

while ( nv <= 2 )
  c.nv = subwrd(colors,nv)
  m.nv = subwrd(marks,nv)
  l.nv = subwrd(legends,nv)
  nv = nv + 1
endwhile

pmin = 1e6 ; pmax = -1e6

'set t 1 'nt-1
'set gxout stat'
'd pratec'
min_max = sublin(result,8)
minv = subwrd(min_max,4)
maxv = subwrd(min_max,5)
if( minv < pmin )
   pmin = minv
endif
if( maxv > pmax )
   pmax = maxv
endif
'd pratenc'
min_max = sublin(result,8)
minv = subwrd(min_max,4)
maxv = subwrd(min_max,5)
if( minv < pmin )
   pmin = minv
endif
if( maxv > pmax )
   pmax = maxv
endif

'set gxout line'
'set grads off'

'set vrange 'pmin' 'pmax

'set ccolor 'c.1
'set cmark  'm.1
'd pratec'

'set ccolor 'c.2
'set cmark  'm.2
'd pratenc'

'cbar_line -x 3 -y 6 -c 'c.1' 'c.2' -l 1 1 -m "'m.1'" "'m.2'" -t "'l.1'"
"'l.2'" -p'

note, the above code hasn't been tested, but it should give you some
ideas of how to plot the variables... cbar_line can be found at
http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/library.html

if you still want to write out a binary file, try adapting your code:

'set fwrite scm9yr12hr.daily.grads'
'set gxout fwrite'
i=2
while(i<nt)
      'set t 'i
      'd pratec'
      'd pratenc'
      i=i+1
endwhile
'disable fwrite’

see also http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/aboutgriddeddata.html

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

  Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
  U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
  Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
  201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
  Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/