[gradsusr] cannot load CO-OPS Great Lake NetCDF datasets

Philbrick, Herb Herbert.PhilbrickIII at arcelormittal.com
Tue Sep 16 15:27:06 EDT 2014

Hello,

I would like to access CO-OPS Great Lakes Operational Forecast System, GLOFS, datasets using GrADS.

I have never worked with netcdf files.
Nor have I worked with a THREDDS server.
I often access NOMADS through its OpenDAP server using GrADS on my PC.  The GrADS command is like
                Sdfopen http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/rap/rap20140915/rap_00z

I have tried the following in GrADS (grads.exe - opendap enabled (see the PS))
        Sdfopen http://opendap.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/thredds/wms/NOAA/LMOFS/MODELS/201409/glofs.lmofs.fields.nowcast.20140915.t19z.nc

GrADS returns the following message in the GrADS console:
Scanning self-describing file:  http://opendap.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC
/NOAA/LMOFS/MODELS/201409/glofs.lmofs.fields.nowcast.20140915.t20z.nc
nc_open failure:
No such file or directory
http://opendap.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/NOAA/LMOFS/MODELS/201409/glofs.lmofs.fields.nowcast.20140915.t19z.nc does not exist or is not a netCDF file.

Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
If this was an HDF-SDS file, try gradshdf.

I downloaded the nc file to my PC c:\grads19\win32\ sub-directory.
ga-> sdfopen glofs.lmofs.fields.nowcast.20140915.t19z.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  glofs.lmofs.fields.nowcast.20140915.t19z.nc
SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.
ga->

ncdump on the downloaded file DID obtain sensible information for header, variables values, etc.
The downloaded file can be loaded into Excel using the NetCDF add-in.
                Hence, the downloaded file sure seems to be good.

The folks at CO-OPS do not use GrADS and could not furnish advice.

Can you give me the proper command or settings to use to access LMOFS datasets?

Thanks in advance,

Herb Philbrick

PS

I am using Grads19 because, ultimately, I output grib-1 files.

ga-> q config
Config: v1.9.0-rc1 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf dap dap-stn lats
athena printim

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9.0-rc1
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Fri Jan 25 02:30:31 EST 2008 for i686-pc-cygwin

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:

   o This is a 32-bit LITTLE ENDIAN machine version.
   o Command line editing (readline) ENABLED.
   o CIRES/CDC (http://www.cdc.noaa.gov) SDF/XDF interface ENABLED.
     Use sdfopen/xdfopen to read NetCDF files.
   o DTYPE netcdf is ENABLED; DTYPE hdfsds is DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) gridded data interface ENABLED. (http://opendap.org)
     This version is configured to access gridded data on OPeNDAP servers
     via the sdfopen or xdfopen commands, or using DTYPE netcdf.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) station data interface (gadap) ENABLED.
     This version is configured to access station data on OPeNDAP servers
     via the open command.
   o PCMDI (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov) LATS interface ENABLED.
     This version is configured to write GRIB and NetCDF files.
   o DAO (http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov) Athena Widget GUI ENABLED.
   o NRL/DAO/PCMDI XA or ImageMagick Image Output DISABLED.
   o printim command for direct png/gif output ENABLED.
     (via the GD Library -- http://www.boutell.com/gd)

For additional information please consult http://grads.iges.org/grads/

ga->