[gradsusr] any help/thoughts?

krishnamohan krishmet at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 00:35:32 EDT 2013

Hello Dr. Muthuvel Chelliah,

I assume that you require a new variable such that, in a particular year,
you want values for that variable in a some months ( Say June to Septmber)
and have to set all other months to undefined. I think you can do this in a
tricky way. Please try the attached script. I will explain the concept here
with HadISST data. This method can only be used for monthly data since 'modify'
command does not support creating daily climatology.

'reinit'
'sdfopen HadISST_sst.nc'

suppose you want only data for the indian summer monsoon time ( June to
September). ie months 6 to 9

'set t 6 9'
'define sstclim = ave(sst, t+0, t=24, 12)'
'modify sstclim seasonal'

now this new variable sstclim contains only values for June to September
and all other values undefined. Now create a new variable such that the
values are a constant field '1' form June to September months and all other
months are undefined.

'define clim=sstclim/sstclim'
'modify clim seasonal'

This new variable contains value 1 from June to September and all other
values undefined. Now multiply it with the real sst data for the entire
time period.

'set t 1 100'
'define sstnew=sst*clim'

The new variable sstnew will have values only for June to September in
every year.

Krishnamohan