[gradsusr] sdfopen and open

James E. Johnson James.Johnson at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 27 18:30:28 EST 2012

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 05:31:59 pm Jennifer Adams wrote:
> The syntax of your descriptor file TES_data.ctl is incorrect. Please read
> http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html carefully.
>
> dset ^TES-Aura_L2-CO-Nadir_2006-06_L2v005_Litev003.nc
> title TES
> undef -999.f
> dtype netcdf
> xdef 360
> ydef 180
> zdef 14
> TDEF 00:00Z01Jun2006
> VARS
>
> Also, I'm not sure whether Aura L2 data is gridded or swath data. If it is
> swath data, then GrADS is not the right tool.  --Jennifer

Hi,

These TES data are Level-2 swath data. They represent all the TES orbit swaths
(typically 24-26 hours of data every other day) aggregated for an entire
month. The dimensions are not 360 x 180 x 14 (which implies gridded), rather
they are:

        grid_pressure_fm = 67 ;
        grid_targets = 27045 ;
        grid_pressure = 14 ;

where the grid_targets dimension represents the nadir profiles/targets (this
number will vary from file to file), the other two dimensions are vertical
pressure level dimensions (the first is the original L2 pressure levels, and
the second grid_pressure are the reduced Lite pressure levels).

Since the data are Level-2, GrADS isn't really the best tool for examining
these data.

You might want to read the documentation about these "Lite" products, if you
already haven't, before using them
http://avdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/download_2.php?site=635564035&id=10&go=download&path=&file=TES_Lite_Products_Users_Guide-
Litev005.pdf. Also check out
http://tes.jpl.nasa.gov/uploadedfiles/LiteProductAdFinal.pdf

Gridded Level-3 products do exist at our sister organization at Langley ASDC,
and you could read these into GrADS. See their web page
http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/PRODOCS/tes/table_tes.html, and for the data via
anonymous FTP at ftp://l4ftl01.larc.nasa.gov/TES/

| James E. Johnson                      | address:                           |
| Wyle Information Systems, Inc.        |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center  |
| e-mail: james.johnson at nasa.gov        |  Distributed Active Archive Center |
| phone:  301-614-5121                  |  Code 610.2, Bldg 32, Room S130G   |
| fax:    301-614-5268                  |  Greenbelt, MD  20771              |