[gradsusr] sdfopen and open

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 27 17:31:59 EST 2012

The syntax of your descriptor file TES_data.ctl is incorrect. Please read http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html carefully.

dset ^TES-Aura_L2-CO-Nadir_2006-06_L2v005_Litev003.nc
title TES
undef -999.f
dtype netcdf
xdef 360
ydef 180
zdef 14
TDEF 00:00Z01Jun2006
VARS

Also, I'm not sure whether Aura L2 data is gridded or swath data. If it is swath data, then GrADS is not the right tool.
--Jennifer

On Nov 27, 2012, at 4:03 PM, Jonathan Wynn Smith wrote:

> Hello
> I have attached the following GrADs scripts.   I can not overlay ECMWF Reanalysis (open with sdfopen) data over TES Carbon monoxide.   The ECMWF uses the "sdfopen" command  and TES just uses "open." The seemingly simple fix placing the commands one right after the other:
>
> "sdfopen filename.nc"
> "open  filename2.ctl"
>
> "d var"
>
> d var.2"
>

> does not work. I have attached my script and the control file for the TES data.  I get the error message saying that data associated with the TES  file (thata variable is co.2) cannot be open.  See below:
>
> ga-> co_TES.gs
> No hardcopy metafile open
> All files closed; all defined objects released;
> All GrADS attributes have been reinitialized
> Error: nc_open failed to open file /Users/jonathanwsmith/TES_hdf.
> ctl
> NetCDF: Unknown file format
> gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
> Data Request Error:  File number out of range
>   Variable = co.2
>   Error ocurred at column 2
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
> Cannot plot color bar: No shading information
> Data Request Error:  File number out of range
>   Variable = co.2
>   Error ocurred at column 2
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
> Hardcopy output file is closed
> ga->
>
> I know I have submitted this issue to grads before but am still struggling.  Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jonathan

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA