[gradsusr] sdfopen and open

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:13:57 EST 2012

The specific error in your email is happening because Grads is not
successfully opening the first file.  You can't specify the index of the
file to be opened.  The rule is that the first file that is successfully
opened gets the index value 1, the second that is opened (when another file
is already open) is given index 2, and so on.  If your intended file "1"
does not open, then if the second intended file opens, it is given the
index value 1.  So your first point of troubleshooting should be to
determine why the file TES_hdf.ctl is not opening the data file in it.  The
control file you attached to this email does not have the same file name as
that in the script, so that could be the problem.

Let me know if this continues after checking on that issue.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Jonathan Wynn Smith <
jwynnsmith.help at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> I have attached the following GrADs scripts.   I can not overlay ECMWF
> Reanalysis (open with sdfopen) data over TES Carbon monoxide.   The ECMWF
> uses the "sdfopen" command  and TES just uses "open." The seemingly simple
> fix placing the commands one right after the other:
>
> "sdfopen filename.nc"
> "open  filename2.ctl"
>
> "d var"
>
> d var.2"
>

> does not work. I have attached my script and the control file for the TES
> data.  I get the error message saying that data associated with the TES
> file (thata variable is co.2) cannot be open.  See below:
>
> ga-> co_TES.gs
> No hardcopy metafile open
> All files closed; all defined objects released;
> All GrADS attributes have been reinitialized
> Error: nc_open failed to open file /Users/jonathanwsmith/TES_hdf.
> ctl
> NetCDF: Unknown file format
> gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
> Data Request Error:  File number out of range
>   Variable = co.2
>   Error ocurred at column 2
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
> Cannot plot color bar: No shading information
> Data Request Error:  File number out of range
>   Variable = co.2
>   Error ocurred at column 2
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
> Hardcopy output file is closed
> ga->
>
> I know I have submitted this issue to grads before but am still
> struggling.  Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jonathan

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant