[gradsusr] sdfopen and open

Jonathan Wynn Smith jwynnsmith.help at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:03:01 EST 2012

Hello
I have attached the following GrADs scripts.   I can not overlay ECMWF
Reanalysis (open with sdfopen) data over TES Carbon monoxide.   The ECMWF
uses the "sdfopen" command  and TES just uses "open." The seemingly simple
fix placing the commands one right after the other:

"sdfopen filename.nc"
"open  filename2.ctl"

"d var"

d var.2"

does not work. I have attached my script and the control file for the TES
data.  I get the error message saying that data associated with the TES
file (thata variable is co.2) cannot be open.  See below:

ga-> co_TES.gs
No hardcopy metafile open
All files closed; all defined objects released;
All GrADS attributes have been reinitialized
Error: nc_open failed to open file /Users/jonathanwsmith/TES_hdf.
ctl
NetCDF: Unknown file format
gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
Data Request Error:  File number out of range
  Variable = co.2
  Error ocurred at column 2
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
Cannot plot color bar: No shading information
Data Request Error:  File number out of range
  Variable = co.2
  Error ocurred at column 2
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = (co.2)*1000000000
Hardcopy output file is closed
ga->

I know I have submitted this issue to grads before but am still
struggling.  Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Jonathan