[gradsusr] NetCDF4 File Problem

Justin Arnott - NOAA Federal justin.arnott at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 19 11:17:45 EST 2012

Good Morning,

I am trying to use GrADS make use of some GEFS re-forecast data that is
available in netCDF4 format (attached is one example, which can be accessed
from: http://esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/download.html).

Using "sdfopen" I am successfully able to open the file.

However, only one variable is listed as available in GrADS (called "*inttime
*" see below), even though ncdump indicates there is an additional variable
(Pressure), which is what I originally requested from the site.

>From GrADS:

descriptor: pres_msl_latlon_all_20120101_20120101_justm8Dgdh.nc
  Binary: pres_msl_latlon_all_20120101_20120101_justm8Dgdh.nc
  Type = Gridded
  Xsize = 63  Ysize = 29  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1  Esize = 11
  Number of Variables = 1
     inttime  0  t  time as an integer (YYYYMMDDHH)

I have tried to create a data descriptor file and use xdfopen (see
below)...but I can't seem to get past the 'inttime' variable.  This file
works if I remove the Pressure line, but again limits me to viewing the
inttime variable...which is simply the date stored as an integer
(2012010100).

DSET pres_msl_latlon_all_20120301_20120301_justt-Hd8C.nc
TITLE This is a sample USL grid box for Central California
UNDEF -9999
XDEF lon 63 LINEAR 233.0 1.0
YDEF lat 29 LINEAR 23.0 1.0
VARS 1
intTime=>intTime 1 99 Pressure
Pressure=>Pressure 1 99 Pressure
ENDVARS

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might go about getting to the
pressure data?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

--