[gradsusr] NetCDF4 File Problem

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Nov 19 11:42:30 EST 2012

Please look at the documentation http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html.

1. Your variable declaration should have "vars 2" instead of "vars 1"
2. Your alias cannot contain any upper case letters (it should be: intTime=>inttime)

From the ncdump output, the variable Pressure has five coordinate dimensions:
        float Pressure(time, ens, fhour, lat, lon) ;

This is a bit strange, so try the following full descriptor file (use 'open' instead of 'xdfopen'):

DSET ^pres_msl_latlon_all_20120101_20120101_justm8Dgdh.nc
dtype netcdf
TITLE This is a sample USL grid box for Central California
UNDEF -9.99e8 _FillValue
XDEF 63 LINEAR 233.0 1.0
YDEF 29 LINEAR 23.0 1.0
zdef 1 linear 1 1
tdef 5 linear 1jan2012 3hr
edef 11 names 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
VARS 1
Pressure=>prs  0  0,e,t,y,x  Pressure
ENDVARS

--Jennifer

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Justin Arnott - NOAA Federal wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I am trying to use GrADS make use of some GEFS re-forecast data that is available in netCDF4 format (attached is one example, which can be accessed from: http://esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/download.html).
>
> Using "sdfopen" I am successfully able to open the file.
>
> However, only one variable is listed as available in GrADS (called "inttime" see below), even though ncdump indicates there is an additional variable (Pressure), which is what I originally requested from the site.
>
> From GrADS:
>
> descriptor: pres_msl_latlon_all_20120101_20120101_justm8Dgdh.nc
>   Binary: pres_msl_latlon_all_20120101_20120101_justm8Dgdh.nc
>   Type = Gridded
>   Xsize = 63  Ysize = 29  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1  Esize = 11
>   Number of Variables = 1
>      inttime  0  t  time as an integer (YYYYMMDDHH)
>
> I have tried to create a data descriptor file and use xdfopen (see below)...but I can't seem to get past the 'inttime' variable.  This file works if I remove the Pressure line, but again limits me to viewing the inttime variable...which is simply the date stored as an integer (2012010100).
>
> DSET pres_msl_latlon_all_20120301_20120301_justt-Hd8C.nc
> TITLE This is a sample USL grid box for Central California
> UNDEF -9999
> XDEF lon 63 LINEAR 233.0 1.0
> YDEF lat 29 LINEAR 23.0 1.0
> VARS 1
> intTime=>intTime 1 99 Pressure
> Pressure=>Pressure 1 99 Pressure
> ENDVARS
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how I might go about getting to the pressure data?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin Arnott