[gradsusr] Making a rainfall map from station data

Yaqiang Wang yaqiang.wang at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:51:00 EST 2012

You need to prepare a GrADS station data file including one or more
input variable (rain is ok). Also a grid data file is required which
defines the output grid resolution and may be a mask grid.

Please check the web page for more information:
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutstationdata.html
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradfuncoacres.html

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Thomas Robinson <ter at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Aloha Grads Users,
>
> I have hourly rainfall data over the island of Oahu that is spread amongst
> 20 or so stations.  I would like to do some kind of objective analysis on
> the data in order to make a rainfall contour map.  I found this function:
> oacres (gexpr, sexpr <,radii>) which seems promising.  I'm not sure what to
> do about the station data though because I've never dealt with it before.
> If I output it in grads binary format, should I just fill in undefined
> values for all grid points except where the stations are?  Do I need full
> station data such as winds and pressure (I don't have that, just rainfall)?
> If I output the rainfall data as a variable called "rain", would I type:'d
> oacres(rain,rain)' ?
> --
> Tom Robinson
> President - Graduate Student Organization
> Graduate Student - Department of Meteorology
> 732-718-2323

Dr. Yaqiang Wang
Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS)
46, Zhong-Guan-Cun South Avenue
Beijing, 100081
China

yaqiang.wang at gmail.com