[gradsusr] Making a rainfall map from station data

Thomas Robinson ter at hawaii.edu
Tue Nov 13 19:05:09 EST 2012

Aloha Grads Users,

I have hourly rainfall data over the island of Oahu that is spread amongst
20 or so stations.  I would like to do some kind of objective analysis on
the data in order to make a rainfall contour map.  I found this
function: oacres
(*gexpr, sexpr <,radii>*) which seems promising.  I'm not sure what to do
about the station data though because I've never dealt with it before.  If
I output it in grads binary format, should I just fill in undefined values
for all grid points except where the stations are?  Do I need full station
data such as winds and pressure (I don't have that, just rainfall)?  If I
output the rainfall data as a variable called "rain", would I type:'d
oacres(rain,rain)' ?
--
Tom Robinson
President - Graduate Student Organization