[gradsusr] reading ds094.0 data with template

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 13 19:39:54 EST 2012

Antoine,

I'm not sure if you can template this dataset "as is" in grads. Each daily file contains 4 forecasts initialized every 6 hours, and each forecast runs out to 9 hours. So there is a 3-hr overlap between consecutive forecasts. Some time levels will have data from two different forecasts. Your ctl file, as it stands, can't account for the overlapping forecasts. It may be possible to handle this situation using the ensemble dimension, treating each 9-hr forecast as a separate ensemble member, but it may be tricky (different data formats have different templating requirements). See the following link:

http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/ensembles.html

You may also have to re-organize your data by using wgrib2 to extract the data for each 9-hr forecast from the daily files, and write each forecast into its own individual file. This will make it easier to handle the staggered initial times.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org