[gradsusr] ERA-40 NC template (still doesn't work)

Ricardo Hallak hallak at model.iag.usp.br
Tue Feb 14 07:32:36 EST 2012

Hi Jose,

pelase, use ncdump to see the strucuture (order of variables) of your files.
Maybe your ctl is not corresponding to the data order.

Regards,
Hallak

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:37:31 -0200, Jose Augusto Paixão Veiga wrote
> Prezado Hallak,
>
> Thanks for your hint and sorry by don't give more details about the files my CTL try  to ingest, my bad. More details about the archives I am using include: they are monthly means inside a file named by their respective year, for example: data_1979.nc contains data for the months JAN, FEB,..., DEC, as in the other files (data_1980.nc, data_1981.nc......data_1999.nc). Because of this, my CTL should include monthly time increment, instead years steps.
>
> Unfortunately, the problem persists.
>
> Sdcs,
>

> José Augusto P. Veiga,
>
> ======================================
> Universidade do Estado do Amazonas
> Departamento de Meteorologia
> Escola Superior de Tecnologia (EST)
> Av. Darcy Vargas, 1200, Manaus-AM Brasil
> Work phone:    (92) 3878 4333
> Skype: veiga_j.a.p.

> CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4027612512091565
> URL:http://scientificmet.wordpress.com/
> http://nmet.wordpress.com/
>
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 1:36 AM, Ricardo Hallak wrote:
> Hi Jose, how are you?
>
> In your .ctl:
> tdef says you have monthly data (36 time steps, 1mo increment).
> dset says you have annual data (only %y4).
> So, if you have annual files, the time increment must be 1yr. On the other
> hand, if you have monthly files, dset must be "data_%y4%m2.nc".
>
> Saudações,
> Hallak
>
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:31:51 -0200, Jose Augusto Paixão Veiga wrote
> Dear users,
>
> I have downloaded several data from ERA-40 in netcdf format and I
> would like to read them into one CTL file with the command template
> (bellow).
>
> dset ^data_%y4.nc
> title ECMWF ERA-40 2.5 x 2.5
> undef -9.99e+33
> options template
> dtype netcdf
> xdef 144 linear   0.0 2.5
> ydef  73 linear -90.0 2.5
> zdef 13 levels 1000 925 850 775 700 600 500 400 300 250 200 150 100
> tdef 36 linear 00Z01JAN1979 1mo
> vars  5
> t=>t  13  t,z,y,x  Temperature
> u=>u  13  t,z,y,x  U velocity
> v=>v  13  t,z,y,x  V velocity
> w=>w  13  t,z,y,x  Vertical velocity
> z=>z  13  t,z,y,x  Geopotential
> endvars
>
> However, when I display the variable uwnd (or other one) the map
> shows another field (field.gif), differently from the original one
> (original.gif)
>
> What could be the problem with this CTL template?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> José Augusto P. Veiga,
>
> ======================================
> Universidade do Estado do Amazonas
> Departamento de Meteorologia
> Escola Superior de Tecnologia (EST)
> Av. Darcy Vargas, 1200, Manaus-AM Brasil
> Work phone:    (92) 3878 4333
> Skype: veiga_j.a.p.

Ricardo Hallak

Department of Atmospheric Sciences (DCA)
Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics and Atmospheric Sciences (IAG)
University of São Paulo (USP)
Rua do Matão, 1226 - Cidade Universitária - São Paulo SP 05508-900
Phone.: +55 (11) 3091-2850; 3091-4703
Fax: +55 (11) 3091-4714