[gradsusr] Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection

Matt Alonso matt.alonso at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:29:08 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my RHEL5 binaries to grads 2.0.1 from 2.0.a7.1 and upon
doing so I started getting the following error message when attempting to
plot vectors using the orthographic projection:

Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection

I did see the entry in the Changelog talking about vectors: "Disabled
erroneous vector/barb drawing in some projections (mollweide, orthographic,
and robinson)".  However, I interpreted that as saying that some erroneous
vectors were showing up in those projects but that the issue had been
resolved.  Did that entry actually mean that vectors are no longer being
drawn for those projections?

I put the session output below which includes the commands I ran that
reproduce the issue.  The data set I was using for these plots is the GFS
model data from
ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2012080212/.

ga-> set mproj ortho
ga-> set lat -90 90
LAT set to -90 90
ga-> set lon 55 235
LON set to 55 235
ga-> set gxout vector
ga-> set t 2
Time values set: 2012:8:2:6 2012:8:2:6
ga-> d u10m;v10m
Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.  Thanks in advance.