[gradsusr] Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 2 13:05:24 EDT 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Matt Alonso wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently upgraded my RHEL5 binaries to grads 2.0.1 from 2.0.a7.1 and upon doing so I started getting the following error message when attempting to plot vectors using the orthographic projection:
>
> Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection
>
> I did see the entry in the Changelog talking about vectors: "Disabled erroneous vector/barb drawing in some projections (mollweide, orthographic, and robinson)".  However, I interpreted that as saying that some erroneous vectors were showing up in those projects but that the issue had been resolved.
No.
>   Did that entry actually mean that vectors are no longer being drawn for those projections?
Yes.
While working on the streamline code, Brian discovered that the transformation of vector angles when drawing on some map projections always assumed that the lat/lon lines cross at right angles. Projections for which this is not the case were disabled.
--Jennifer

> I put the session output below which includes the commands I ran that reproduce the issue.  The data set I was using for these plots is the GFS model data from ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2012080212/.
>
> ga-> set mproj ortho
> ga-> set lat -90 90
> LAT set to -90 90
> ga-> set lon 55 235
> LON set to 55 235
> ga-> set gxout vector
> ga-> set t 2
> Time values set: 2012:8:2:6 2012:8:2:6
> ga-> d u10m;v10m
> Error: vector/barb not compatible with current map projection
>
> Sorry if I am missing something obvious.  Thanks in advance.

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705