[gradsusr] Is it necessary to install perl to Read Grib2 with GrADS?

Bo Zhang bzhang3 at mtu.edu
Wed Oct 5 20:17:41 EDT 2011

Hi all dear Grads users,

I am trying to use GrADS 2.0.a9 to interpret Grib2 data on a linux machine. First, I don't have grab2map in my package which seems essential to create a ctl file. Second, another potential option is by using g2ctl. If I am understanding correct this would need perl, which I don't have the privilege to install on the server.(I assume it won't work If I just install it under my home directory. Correct me if I am wrong.) Is there a way to Read Grib2 with GrADS? On GrADS, it sounds like a build-in function for the newest version. Grab2scan does work, and here is what it displays.

Record 247
  Reference Time = 2009-07-19 18:00:00  Start of Forecast
 Field 1
  GDT=0 (Lat/Lon) nx*ny=65160
  PDT=0,  3 Hour Forecast,  Valid Time = 2009-07-19 21:00
   Parameter: disc,cat,num = 0,3,0
   Level: ltype,lval = 6,0

Record 248
  Reference Time = 2009-07-19 18:00:00  Start of Forecast
 Field 1
  GDT=0 (Lat/Lon) nx*ny=65160
  PDT=0,  3 Hour Forecast,  Valid Time = 2009-07-19 21:00
   Parameter: disc,cat,num = 0,3,5
   Level: ltype,lval = 6,0

Bo Zhang
Dow 824,Civil and Environmental Engineering
Michigan Tech University
1400 Townsends Drive.
Houghton, MI, 49931