[gradsusr] Is it necessary to install perl to Read Grib2 with GrADS?

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 5 20:43:21 EDT 2011

Have a look at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/grib.html -- this doc page
gives pretty explicit instructions for how to handle grib and grib2
data with GrADS. The gribmap utility (which is part of the GrADS
distribution) handles grib and grib2 files. The g2ctl program is
extremely handy, but not strictly required for creating a descriptor
file. Perl will probably work out of your home directory, but be sure
to change the path in the first line of the g2ctl code to point to
your custom location.
--Jennifer

On Oct 5, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Bo Zhang wrote:

> Hi all dear Grads users,
>
> I am trying to use GrADS 2.0.a9 to interpret Grib2 data on a linux
> machine. First, I don't have grab2map in my package which seems
> essential to create a ctl file. Second, another potential option is
> by using g2ctl. If I am understanding correct this would need perl,
> which I don't have the privilege to install on the server.(I assume
> it won't work If I just install it under my home directory. Correct
> me if I am wrong.) Is there a way to Read Grib2 with GrADS? On
> GrADS, it sounds like a build-in function for the newest version.
> Grab2scan does work, and here is what it displays.
>
> Record 247
>  Reference Time = 2009-07-19 18:00:00  Start of Forecast
> Field 1
>  GDT=0 (Lat/Lon) nx*ny=65160
>  PDT=0,  3 Hour Forecast,  Valid Time = 2009-07-19 21:00
>   Parameter: disc,cat,num = 0,3,0
>   Level: ltype,lval = 6,0
>
> Record 248
>  Reference Time = 2009-07-19 18:00:00  Start of Forecast
> Field 1
>  GDT=0 (Lat/Lon) nx*ny=65160
>  PDT=0,  3 Hour Forecast,  Valid Time = 2009-07-19 21:00
>   Parameter: disc,cat,num = 0,3,5
>   Level: ltype,lval = 6,0
>

> Bo Zhang
> Dow 824,Civil and Environmental Engineering
> Michigan Tech University
> 1400 Townsends Drive.
> Houghton, MI, 49931

Jennifer M. Adams