[gradsusr] Problem extracting HIRLAM gribfile

Jonas Kaufmann me at j0nes.de
Thu Mar 17 08:17:59 EDT 2011

Hello,

thank you for your help again! I have tried to use other packing
options, but somehow I still get stuck. For example, I converted the
original file to grib2 format with other packing options using the
following commands from the ECMWF tools:
./grib_set -s edition=2 test.grib out.grib2
./grib_set -s packingType=grid_simple out.grib2 out_simple.grib2

When using g2ctl afterwards, I still get the negative sign in the
control file. When I manually change this to a positive value, I can
successfully create an index file using gribmap.

However, when I then try to use the grib file in GrADS, I get strange
lat and lon fields which might be related to the g2ctl problem:
Data file out_simple.grib2 is open as file 1
LON set to 245.438 406.305
LAT set to 7.2 51.36
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 2011:3:12:0 2011:3:12:0

When I try to plot data from this file, I still get "Cannot contour
grid - all undefined values":
ga-> set lon 0 360
LON set to 0 360
ga-> set lat 0 90
LAT set to 0 90
ga-> d tmp2m
Notice:  Automatic Grid Interpolation Taking Place
Cannot contour grid - all undefined values

Is this a problem in the conversion or in the g2ctl code? How can I fix this?

Again, thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Jonas Kaufmann