[gradsusr] speed/performance: GRADS scripting language vs GERL

pr romero619 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:01:37 EST 2011

I have a new grads application where speed is the highest priority.

My grads script is fairly long & complicated, and runs through a multi-plot
loop.

I find that certain things are rather limited in the grads scripting
language (ex. running system commands & processing their output), and Im
forced to do some ugly workarounds.

So I'd like the added power of perl, but Im worried about the effect that
the added perl overhead will have on overall processing speed.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the speed/performance of using
traditional grads scripts files vs. using the perl interface?

Thanks,

P.Romero