[gradsusr] speed/performance: GRADS scripting language vs GERL

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 6 22:21:14 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM, pr <romero619 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new grads application where speed is the highest priority.
>
> My grads script is fairly long & complicated, and runs through a multi-plot
> loop.
>
> I find that certain things are rather limited in the grads scripting
> language (ex. running system commands & processing their output), and Im
> forced to do some ugly workarounds.
>
> So I’d like the added power of perl, but Im worried about the effect that
> the added perl overhead will have on overall processing speed.
>

> Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the speed/performance of using
> traditional grads scripts files vs. using the perl interface?

Think it will depend very much on the nature of your script, and how often
you interact with the grads subsystem (say, 'q dims', sublin/subwrd, etc.)
I'd suspect that for pure scripts that do not interact with the grads
subsystem perl would be a bit faster. Now, there is some overhead of the
perl interface interacting with the grads subsystem, more so than with a gs
script. In all of my applications this overhead is negligible compared to
the time spent with I/O, analysis and plotting. It is hard to say in
general, you will need to profile your script.

    Arlindo.

> Thanks,
>
> P.Romero

Arlindo da Silva