[gradsusr] Problems with wgrib2.exe : No output 0k file

Ling,Alister [Edm] Alister.Ling at EC.gc.ca
Wed Sep 8 10:31:00 EDT 2010

Salut,

I had a similar problem, not sure if it is the same issue...
Here is what I do, based on info I dug up in the wgrib2 pages:

There is a small bug in the grib2 file system that requires a kludge so that grads can view it:

bash script segment:

wgrib2 $downloaded_grib_file -set_flag_table_3.3 48 -grib $modified_grib_file
g2ctl $modified_grib_file > $CTL_filename
gribmap -1 $CTL_filename

Of course you may need to point to the full path for the (wgrib2 g2ctl gribmap)  executables.
In short, take the downloaded grib file , use wgrib2 to adjust the resolution parameter using "-set_flag_table_3.3 48" output to a new grib file.
Then use g2ctl to make the contrl file.

This is for files downloaded from NCEP, so presumably should be same as for NOAA. It has something to do with grid spacing, and my impression (which may be wrong) is it may only be necessasry for certain grids like the lambert conformal.

Bonne journée,
Alister.