[gradsusr] multiple variables in one netCDF

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 3 13:52:39 EDT 2010

Hi, Teddy --
The ncks -A command merges files with different variables having
identical grids. Concatenating files with netcdf operators (i.e.,
extending the time steps) is something different. The NCO docs
describe how to do this, I am working on a merge of their docs to add
to the sdfwrite docs to make it easier for GrADS users, but haven't
finished testing it out to make sure it works. It is a bit more
involved, since you have to change the time dimension to a 'record'
dimension, so that it can be extended. You have to use ncecat followed
by ncpdq followed by ncwa and then ncrcat.

I will think about how to add an option to 'sdfwrite' to set a
dimension to be a record dimension; this will save some trouble when
concatenating files. In the newer versions of the netcdf library you
can have more than one record dimension.

--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org