[gradsusr] WRF-NMM netcdf files

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Mon Nov 1 16:46:11 EDT 2010

Sim,
I am a WRF-ARW user and not a WRF-NMM user, but I do use the WPP.
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything with the WPP package that would do what
you are looking for.  However, if you are willing to run the ARW instead,
there is a post-processor called ARWpost that has a utility called WRFnc2ctl
that you could use.  Otherwise, you could also try ncview...however, it only
allows you to display variables and doesn't let you do any manipulation of
the fields.  Lastly, you could try Ferret.  It requires no post processing
and all you have to do to your wrfout files to use them in Ferret is append
".nc" to the end of the file name.

Good luck and ask if you have more questions.  Sorry I can't help more with
the NMM side.

Jeff Duda

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM, sim.aberson <Sim.Aberson at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I am just starting to run WRF-NMM and would like to quickly view the
> netcdf output with GrADS.  I know about the WRF post-processor, but I
> was wondering if there was an easy way to make simple graphics using
> GrADS and the netcdf output directly.  [I have little prior knowledge of
> netcdf, but have used GrADS extensively.]  Any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated.
>

> --
> Sim Aberson         AOML/Hurricane Research Division          Miami, FL
>     "Hurricane states erect statues in my honor." -- David Sedaris

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University
Meteorology Graduate Student
3134 Agronomy Hall