[gradsusr] GRIB2 / GRIB1 Data

Andrew Revering andy at f5data.com
Tue Nov 2 10:21:29 EDT 2010

For the archives, I'm answering my own question as I think I got it
resolved.

The "Unknown Grib2 Index Version Number" occurs when I download NCEPs IDX
file with the GRIB2 file. However, if I create my own IDX file using
Gribmap, I don't get this error.

Additionally, the problem I was having with cnvgrib not working without
rebooting was due to cygwin1.dll being in more than one location on the PC.
Apparently you can only have 1 copy of this on the entire PC, and make sure
that it is in your system PATH.

With all this info in hand, I have switched to using Grib2 data directly,
bypassing the need for cnvgrib, which I think will resolve the last bit
where the data is occasionally 'funky' since an exact conversion from Grib2
to Grib1 can't really be done.

So my process is now this:

- DOWNLOADED GRIB2 FILE (NOT THE IDX FILE...THAT ONE FAILED TO WORK)

- CREATED CTL FILE BY RUNNING G2CTL... NOTE I HAD AN ERROR WITH CYGWIN,
FIXED BY MAKING SURE I ONLY HAD 1 COPY OF CYGWIN1.DLL ON THE ENTIRE MACHINE
(ONE COMES WITH OPENGRADS), AND THAT IT WAS IN THE SYSTEM PATH.

- THEN I RAN GRIBMAP TO CREATE THE IDX.

Andy