[gradsusr] plotting time in hovmoller pictures

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
Wed May 12 18:10:26 EDT 2010

Liping Liu,

You might also be able to use GrADS templates to "concatenate" the "olr"
fields from file 1 and file 2 into a single time series within GrADS as
follows:

'open olr_template.ctl'
'set yflip on'
'set lev 1000'
'set tlsupp year'
'set t 2 80'
'set lat 15'
'set gxout shaded'
'set grads off'
'd ave(olr,lat=5,lat=25)'

where "olr" is the name of the variable in the "vars" section of the
GrADS template data descriptor file "olr_template.ctl" (please see the
examples at http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/templates.html which can
give you some ideas for what your "olr_template.ctl" might need)...
briefly, a template data descriptor file for  time differs from a single
dataset data descriptor file in the "dset" record, a required "options
template" record, and in the "tdef" record (in which the number of time
levels in the template data descriptor file is the sum of the time
levels for each of the component datasets).

I hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
official or unofficial position of the United States Federal Government,
the United States Department of Commerce, or NOAA."