[gradsusr] plotting time in hovmoller pictures

Liping Liu liping_liuwang at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 06:32:35 EDT 2010

Thanks for the answers to my previous question. The "parea" and "vpage" commands work, but I have to specify the picture size every time. I want a more robotic (generic) approach, if possible.
The GrADS template data descriptor is a wonderful idea! But does it only do aggregating or concatenating? I want to manipulate the fields before I plot out the hovmollers:
First I plot the hovmoller using data from file 1 for Aug10-15:
'set yflip on'
'set lev 1000'
'set tlsupp year'
'set t 2 48'
'set lat 15'
'set gxout shaded'
'set grads off'
'd ave(olr.1,lat=5,lat=25)'
Then I want to add the hovmoller plot using data from file 1 and file 2 for Aug15-20:
'set t 49 80'
'd ave((olr.1+olr.2)/2,lat=5,lat=25)'

Question: Is it possible that I write the fields (olr) from different data files (with different ctl files) into one data file with one ctl file?

Thanks!

Liping