[gradsusr] how to write mpdset files

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Apr 8 13:44:13 EDT 2010

GrADS 2.0.a8 has the capability to draw shapefiles, with an interface
similar (but not identical) to Arlindo's opengrads. The documentation
is at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/shapefiles.html. If you have India
state boundary data in shapefile format, there is no need to write any
new code. If you have boundary data in ascii format, it is probably
easier to try to write out a shapefile than a GrADS map file.
--Jennifer

On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Matei Georgescu wrote:

> I had the same question, but for a different geographical area
> (Brazil). The solution was to obtain 'opengrads' and ESRI First
> Level World Administrative Boundaries 1998.
>
> Please see here for some additional info:
> http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/shape/shape.html
>
> hope this helps,
> matt
>
> -----
> Matei ("Matt") Georgescu
> Post-doctoral Scholar
> Program on Food Security and the Environment
> Stanford University
> Y2E2 Bldg - MC4205
> 473 Via Ortega
> Stanford, CA 94305
> homepage - http://stanford.edu/~mateig
>
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, ramanathan natarajan wrote:
>
>> dear sir,
>> i have to draw india map with state boundaries with high
>> resolution.  under mpdset, hires data set is given in
>> grads  without state boundaries.  does  it possible to get data set
>> file for this  or shall i write my own mpdset
>> data file?  if so , kindly tell me how to develope the data file.
>> for your information  i know fortran as well as
>> c programming language.
>> ramanathan,
>> pune, india

Jennifer M. Adams