how to make maximum wind plot along with level showing maximum wind for each grid

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Tue Nov 24 12:11:42 EST 2009

Sushant,

Here's some code that:
1) finds the height level "zmin" of the minimum temperature (represented
by variable ztav = zonal average of weighted time average temperature)
at each horizontal location "j" in a (y,z) physical domain
2) uses GrADS function "gr2xy"
(http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/script.html#commands) to transform
the grid point location (j,zmin) to plot location (xloc.j,yloc.j)
3) plots the values (xloc.j,yloc.j) on a (y,z) plot

    say '   find and save location of minimum temperature...'

    j=1
    while ( j <= ny )
      'set y 'j
      'set gxout print'
      'd minloc(ztav,z=1,z='nz')' ; rec3 = sublin(result,3) ; zmin =
subwrd(rec3,1)
*      say result
      say '   ...j, zmin = 'j', 'zmin
      'query gr2xy 'j' 'zmin
      rec = sublin(result,1) ; xloc.j = subwrd(rec,3) ; yloc.j =
subwrd(rec,6)
*      say result
      say '      xloc, yloc = 'xloc.j', 'yloc.j
      j=j+1
    endwhile
  if( plot_min_temp = 'yes' )
    say '   plot level of minimum temperature... '
    j=1
    while ( j <= ny )
      'set y 'j
*       say '      xloc, yloc = 'xloc.j', 'yloc.j
      'set line 1'
      'draw mark 3 'xloc.j' 'yloc.j' 0.03'
      j=j+1
    endwhile
  endif

Please contact me if you have any questions about this code, or would
like a script that does a plot.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/