Singular Value Decomposition (SVD)

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 13 08:40:34 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Leonardo Diogo <
leonardo.silva at cptec.inpe.br> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>

> I would like to know if someone have a Grads Script to calculate a SVD
> of two different fields. I'm trying to construct a Atlantic Meridional
> Mode index based on method used by Chiang and Vimont (2004)
> (http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/timeseries/monthly/AMM/) but I
> don't have any script to do it here.

If python is an option, you should be able to do this easily with pygrads:

     http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS

The current EOF functionality in pygrads uses a SVD decomposition. Computing
the SVD of 2 fields would be a trivial generalization.

  Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu