cloud cover historical data

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 6 12:53:35 EST 2009

Hi Claudio,

Just a word of caution. Any reanalysis data is not actually
observations, and each reanalysis has it's own bias and uncertainty,
NCEP or otherwise. One reanalysis is not necessarily representative of
reality, especially in the physics output. Clouds and precipitation
can be much more related to the model part of the data assimilation
system. Temperature and heights less so, until you move toward data
sparse regions.

That said MERRA produces reanalysis cloud fields (1/2 degree
resolution, global). The following links can be opened in gradsdap or
opengrads sessions (sdfopen) to get the MERRA cloud fields:

1 hourly frequency: http://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov:80/dods/MAT1NXRAD
Monthly: http://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov:80/dods/MATMNXRAD

The main data page is at:
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/DataHoldings.pl with a variety
of download options.

Also, you may be interested in installing opengrads on your computer.
It has command lines built in for "merra" and "nomads", and these open
gui interfaces to each reanalyses Grads Data Servers.

Good Luck and have a great weekend!!

Mike