text to binary file

Ryo Furue furue at HAWAII.EDU
Thu May 22 20:32:33 EDT 2008

Hi GrADS users and developers,

I found a few problems with gxeps that came with GrADS 1.9b4 (Linux).
I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss them . . . if not,
I'd appreciate it if you could point me to a right place.

1) The bounding box sometimes isn't correctly set.
I used vpage in the portrait mode as

    set vpage 0.5 8 4 9

and did gxeps -i plot -o plot.eps  .  The upper, right, and left edges
of the boundingbox of the resulting EPS file were correct, but its
lower edge was way too far below.

2) There is a bogus directive "%%Pages: " without the number of pages
given.   (But, since this is an EPS, this directive shouldn't be
there, should it?)  GSView (for Windows), for example, complains about
it.

3) The "-R" option leads to an inconsistent EPS file after a landscape
GrADS session.  I don't know what's the right thing to do, but I don't
think these declarations

   %%PaperSize: Letter
   %%PageOrientation: Landscape

are correct or desirable.  The right edge of the plot is off the
letter paper.  I guess it's better to shift the plot leftward to fit
in the letter paper and to declare the page to be Portrait.  GSView,
again, cannot render this plot correctly.

Regards,
Ryo