Running GrADS on Windows XP

Morgan Silverman mlsilver at NCSU.EDU
Fri May 9 15:26:06 EDT 2008

Lincoln,
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately when I do what you suggested I get
the same error except now instead it states the whole path as the file
name it can't open rather than just fort.2200.
-Morgan

> Morgan,
> Try to put the path, like DSET /cygdrive/c/Morgan/fort.2200
> Regards,
> Lincoln
>
> Morgan Silverman wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to run GrADS on Windows XP with Cygwin. I downloaded grads-
>> 1.8sl11-xwin32.exe and am able to open GrADS so I see the display window
>> and prompt. I am unable to open my data file though.
>>
>> When I type
>> ga -> open /cygdrive/c/Morgan/wind22.ctl
>> I get this...
>> Scanning description file: /cygdrive/c/Morgan/wind22.ctl
>> Open Error: Can't open binary data file
>>   File name = fort.2200
>>
>> I have used these exact same files (wind22.ctl and fort.2200) on a linux
>> machine and have no problem opening them with GrADS. I'm not sure if I'm
>> missing something for it to work on windows or not. My .ctl file looks
>> like this...
>>
>> DSET    fort.2200
>> UNDEF   -9.99E33
>> TITLE    BASIC MOUNTAIN TEST
>> XDEF 128 LINEAR  -64.0 1.0
>> YDEF  1  LINEAR   0.0 1.0
>> ZDEF 81  LINEAR   0.0 0.35
>> TDEF 1 LINEAR 08:00Z30APR1997 01HR
>> VARS    7
>> U1      81   99   U1
>> V1      81   99   V1
>> W1      81   99   W1
>> PT      81   99   POT. TEMP.
>> PRE     81   99   PRESSURE
>> ZG      81   99   ZG
>> ZT      81   99   ZT
>> ENDVARS
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help you might have.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Morgan Silverman
>
> --
> Lincoln M. Alves
> Meteorologista - Grupo de Previsao Climatica
> CPTEC/INPE
> +55 12 3186-8580

Morgan L. Silverman
Research Associate
North Carolina State University
National Institute of Aerospace
Located at:  NASA Langley Research Center
             Bldg 1209, 100A-8
757-864-3219
mlsilver at ncsu.edu
morgan.silverman at nianet.org