Running GrADS on Windows XP

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Fri May 9 16:08:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Morgan Silverman <mlsilver at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to run GrADS on Windows XP with Cygwin. I downloaded grads-
> 1.8sl11-xwin32.exe and am able to open GrADS so I see the display window
> and prompt. I am unable to open my data file though.

Because Win32 is built with cygwin, the cygwin1.dll version it is bundled
with GrADS has to match the version of the other Cygwin you have installed.
Version 1.8sl11-xwin32.exe is more than 5 years old and it may be tricky to
get it to work with a newer version of Cygwin. Here are my recommendations:

1) Install the most recent v1.9-rc1 Win32 Superpack from sf.net

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=270750

   You can find some more info about this release here:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Microsoft_Windows

2) If you prefer to stay with v1.8, try deleting or renaming the
"cygwin1.dll" that came with GrADS with the one in your cygwin release. Very
important: *reboot* and start GrADS again.

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu