Mercator Projections?

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 17 08:10:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Graeme Rae <graeme at surfline.com> wrote:

> I've seen a couple of references in the archives to being able to either do
> a Mercator projection by
> adjusting the ylevels or using a version of GrADS that has this built in.
>  Has anyone successfully done
> either of these?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> The data sets I have are all in  Lat/Lon/Variable format, but I need to
> display them on a 'standard'
> rectangular Mercator grid;  linear Lon, but variable spaced lat.

This is very easy with pygrads.

% pygrads -b
[] ga-> ga.open('model')
[] ga-> ga.basemap('merc',lat_ts=20) # for examle
[] ga-> ga.imshow('ts')

A sample figure is attached. In addition to mercator, you can plot your data
on a very large number of map projections, many of them I never heard of.
You can find more information on PyGrADS here:

   http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS

IMPORTANT: There is a new version of Matplotlib (0.98) that breaks PyGrADS
1.0.8; I have a new version that works with this new Matplotlib but I am
still testing it. Contact me directly if you would like to try it. PyGrADS
should work with the Matlotlib available with most Linux distributions.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu