Using Windows-based GrADS to examine TRMM orbit data files

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 21 15:44:42 EDT 2008

If you really want the orbital data, rather than a higher level gridded
product, I'm pretty sure that you need an intermediate step to put the
swath(s) in a grid that grads is friendly with. For MODIS L2 swaths, I used
hdflook (on linux) to save lat-lon grids from the swaths. However it was
very cumbersome, and you would not want to do that with large amounts of
data.

I haven't seen grads open swaths (and the other replies confirm that), but I
might make use of such a utility. So, you need an HDF tool, for the PC that
will open swath, and write a grid. That grid would go into PCgrads.

Good Luck,

Mike