lats4d

Brian Doty doty at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Jan 29 22:02:29 EST 2008

Mike, the new Version 2 of GrADS is being released in alpha version
and incomplete so that people would have access to the new GRIB2
support.   With no funding for many years and key personnel working
limited part time hours we do not have the resources to support old
code and also move forward to provide essential new functionality for
present and future research needs.  GrADS development first started
in the late 1980s and it has taken us several years of work to clean
up the 15 years of accumulated mods and patches on top of the
original code base in order to come out with a new code base so we
could move forward.   I have made every effort over the years to
ensure upward compatibility and maintain stability.  There is no way
that a 20 year old code base can be patched and hacked for another 20
years or even 5 years and maintain stability and still support the
100TB data sets you talk about and the other projects probably in the
pipeline.   As new versions of data formats appear -- grib2, hdf5,
new netcdf on the way, etc ---  we have no choice.  We cannot keep
using old libraries and maintain them ourselves.  We cannot patch and
hack old code that we didn't write to begin with and which in some
cases has restrictive copyrights.

As I say, version 2 as it stands now is incomplete.   Key areas of
functionality which need to be re-implemented have not yet been
done.  Other major parts of grads have not yet been upgraded, such as
the graphics package.   As Jennifer said in her original email, the
output of various data formats is high on the list of things yet to
be done...   Brian