Build Grads with dods 1.9.0-rc1 on Suse 10.3

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 26 12:18:04 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Christian Marquardt <
marquardt.christian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this piece of information:
>
> > One more important detail. If you care about having "gradshdf" working
> you
> > should use supplibs-2.0.0 for building GrADS 1.9. This should not matter
> for
> > gradsc, gradsnc and gradsdods.
> >
> > The newest supplibs-2.0.1 is meant for GrADS 2.
>
> would also be well placed in the wiki so that people are aware of it...

Good point. I have updated the wiki.

> The difference seems to be that the netcdf part isn't included in the
> 2.0.1
> version of the HDF4 libraries, hence trying to build 1.9 fails for
> gradshdf. Is
> that right?

Yes, kinda. I believe the netcdf routines are still there with a different
(mangled) name. However, supplibs-2.0.1 contain a more recent version of
hdf4. So far I've trying to keep the builds consistent across all the
platforms (using same version of the libraries). For this reason the simpler
direction in the wiki:

*VERY IMPORTANT: * Use *supplibs-2.0.0* for building GrADS v1.9; use *
supplibs-2.0.1* and newer for building GrADS v2.0.

As for the "-e" in the GNUmake it is there for historical reasons: initially
not all packages had autoconf in them. It is no longer useful. So, I'll
remove it as you suggest.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva