Streamfunction/velocity potential

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 26 10:16:03 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: See Hai Ooi <axl419 at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: New Win32 GrADS build
To: Arlindo da Silva <dasilva at alum.mit.edu>
Cc: Michael.Fiorino at noaa.gov

Dear Mr Arlindo,

    Thank you.  It worked but _xmin and _xmax should
be -71 and 73 instead. [Please see the revised
attachment.]

     As Dr Michael Fiorino pointed out, psi/chi is
still useful for the purpose, say, of evaluating the
subtropical ridge on the globe.  By following your
suggestion, I removed the global mean from each
psi/chi.  The GrADS output is similar to that in
Figure 1 example.  In fact, this Figure 1 example can
be found in the article entitled "African Easterly
Waves during 2004 - Analysis Using Objective
Techniques" by Gareth Berry, Chris Thorncroft and Tim
Hewson (MWR, April 2007, pp. 1251-1267).

     Once again, thank you to you and Dr Michael
Fiorino.

Ooi See Hai

--- Arlindo da Silva <dasilva at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM, See Hai Ooi
> <axl419 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Mr Arlindo,
> >
> >     Yes, I have to use the POSIX pathname to make
it work.

> >     I look forward to have your version of utFish
that makes a [-180 180] plot.

> See attached. You will need to adjust the location
of the file being open. My only mod was to add

>  _xmin = -35
>  _xmax =  37
>
> in line 22. Here is how I came up with these 2
numbers:

> ga-> set lon -180 180
> ga-> q dims
>
>    Good Luck,