Build Grads with dods 1.9.0-rc1 on Suse 10.3

Steven Weiss sweiss at IAFRICA.COM
Sun Feb 24 14:48:15 EST 2008

Hi Arlindo,

OK, will proceed accordingly and let you know.

Regards
Steven

----- Original Message -----
  From: Arlindo da Silva
  To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
  Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:35 PM
  Subject: Re: Build Grads with dods 1.9.0-rc1 on Suse 10.3

  On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Steven Weiss <sweiss at iafrica.com> wrote:

    Hi Arlindo,

    See below for details as requested. I have not not tried the pre-compiled versions of supplibs. Actually, I have been working in a windows test environment with grads 1.8 and gradsdods/lats4d. When I wanted to deploy, I downloaded grads-bin-1.8sl11-linux.tar.gz which gave me segmentation faults when trying to do sdfopen. A little homework in the userlist archives indicated that 1.9 is more stable and I decided to build from source thinking this would be the way to go to avoid problems.

  One would think so, but with all the dependencies and platforms building is always full of surprises. If you don't mind using binaries that someone else compiled, here is what I'd suggest:

  1) If the i686 grads b1.9.0-rc1 binaries work for you I'd stick with that. (The fact that the 1.8SL11 coredumps is because it was built with a very old version of g++/glibc, usually the main cause of binary incompatibility.)

  2) If 1) fails, then I'd do a semi-binary approach: binary supplibs, grads from sources, A couple of users had to resort to this because of a glibc incompatibility. The supplibs are all compiled statically, so they are pretty reusable across distributuons with gcc 3 and newer.

  3) and if 1)/2) fails I'd try both supplibs/grads from sources. I am yet to hear from someone that had to to this because 2 failed. It could happen, though.

  Let me know what you would like to do. If you would like to stick with 3) then I'll devise a strategy to debug the supplibs build on Suse 10.3.

        Arlindo.

  --
  Arlindo da Silva
  dasilva at alum.mit.edu