pdef and interpolation question

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Feb 20 14:07:11 EST 2008

Hi, Ron --
That is exactly why there are precipitation types in GFS meteograms,
but not the NAM meteograms (on wxmaps.org) -- because of the
interpolation of the index-value fields when using PDEF with the NAM
data. Same thing happens with the land mask; you have land, ocean,
and something in between around the coastlines. You can try using
maskout and const to create a new field with values equal to 0 or 1
to mimic the original, but you have to make a subjective choice about
what threshold to use with maskout. With a land mask, it's reasonably
easy:
   ga-> d const(maskout(land,land-0.5),1)
But with precip types ... it's a little more dicey.

--Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA